3/22/1890 an Indianapolis, IN firefighter “died as a result of injuries he sustained in the building collapse at the bookstore on March 17th.”
3/22/1902 a Detroit, MI firefighter “died from injuries he sustained after having fallen through a roof and into the fire.”
3/22/1926 a Hartford, CT firefighter “died as a result of exposure suffered at an orphanage fire.”
3/22/1929 two Peoria, IL firefighter “died while battling a fire at the Peoria Market House on 123-127 South Washington Street at the corner of Washington and Fulton Streets. At 5:48 a.m., an alarm signaled the fire; on arrival the fire department they immediately called for a “33 All Hands” general alarm. It is believed that the fire started on the third-floor of the three-story brick and masonry building. The intense heat activated the sprinkler systems in the building, which prevented the flames from extending to surrounding exposures. In record time, the fire crews had hose lines snaking from every hydrant within a few hundred feet and as many as 15 streams of water were sent into the flames from every exterior vantage point. Three firefighters entered the structure, fighting their way through the dense smoke and intense heat, and began to direct a stream of water onto the seat of the fire on the level above them. They made their way up the stairs to the second floor to inspect the structure. After the evaluation, they reported that the building had suffered quite a bit of damage and could collapse at any moment. The three men remained inside the structure but moved back to a presumably safer position. Approximately five minutes later, they conduct a second evaluation of the second floor. One firefighter had just moved a few steps away from the other two when a loud, ominous crack was heard, and the floor began to fall upon his comrades. The valiant firefighters had no chance to escape and both men were buried in a tangled mess of broken timbers and falling bricks. Six other firefighters were slightly injured in the collapse. With increased intensity, the flames swept through the building, and the heat and smoke forced them to retreat from possible rescue efforts. At 4:00 p.m., almost eight hours after the collapse, the lifeless bodies of the two firefighters were excavated. They were still grasping the nozzle of the hose in the direction of the fire.”
3/22/1932 a Manhattan, New York (FDNY) firefighter died in “a violent boiler explosion in the sub-cellar that caught the members of Engine 26, Ladder 21, and the 3rd Division Chief. He died of smoke inhalation and all the other firefighters were injured in the blast. It was believed that waste benzine had come in contact with the feed line at the boiler and caused the blast and resulting two-alarm fire.”
3/22/1954 a North Lincoln, Oregon firefighter died at “a structure fire at the Nelscott Sea Food Market. He collapsed on the scene while fighting a commercial kitchen fire. Firefighters on the scene immediately began resuscitation efforts. He was transported to North Lincoln Hospital in Wecoma but efforts at revival were unsuccessful.”
3/22/1965 a Baltimore, MD firefighter “died after suffering the effects of carbon monoxide while operating at a fire in a chemical storage room.”
3/22/1970 a Buffalo, NY firefighter “died after suffering from respiratory distress. He and members of Engine 15 were battling a four-alarm fire at Brocks Super Duper at 286 Ontario St., on March 16th. He was overcome and collapsed at the scene. Companies were doing overhaul when he was discovered. He was transported to Kenmore Mercy Hospital where he later died.”
3/22/1972 a Fort Wayne, IN firefighter “died of the injuries he sustained after falling through the floor while investigating a house fire.”
3/22/1973 a Los Angeles, CA firefighter “was killed instantly when the 40-foot crane struck him across the back and knocked him face-down in the mud during a 7:54 a.m. fire at the H and S salvage yard, 1261 N. Alameda St.”
3/22/2018 two York, PA firefighters “were killed from a collapse at the scene of a multi-alarm fire that began on March 21st. Fire crews were still on-scene putting out hot spots that were flaring up nearly twenty-four hours later. The two firefighters were transported to the hospital where they succumbed to their injuries. Two other firefighters injured in the collapse were reported to be in stable condition with non-life-threatening injuries. Prior to the fire breaking out, the 150-year-old multi-story structure, known as the Weaver Organ and Piano building, was being renovated into apartments.”
3/23/2018 a Manhattan, NY (FDNY) firefighter was killed, and two other firefighters were seriously injured in a Harlem five-alarm fire that broke out in a former St Nicks Jazz Pub that was being used as a film set on Nicholas Ave near 148th Street around 11:00 p.m. “He was operating the fire hose nozzle in the basement of the building when fire conditions intensified, and he became separated from the other firefighters. The firefighter was removed from the structure and taken to Harlem hospital where he was declared deceased.”
3/22/1975 a fire at the Brown’s Ferry-1 reactor fire in Decatur, AL, started while workers were checking for an air leak with a lit candle and quickly spread to electrical cable seal and extended into the reactor building; “foamed plastic covered on both sides with two coats of a flame-retardant paint used as a firestop.” Built in 1966 on the Tennessee River it was the first nuclear plant to generate more than 1 giga-Watts of power.
3/22/2012 Jacksonville, AR a 31-year-old woman, 11-year-old boy, and 9, 7 and 4-year-old girls died from carbon monoxide poisoning as a result of a small kitchen fire in their house.
3/22/1972 a fire on the seventh-floor of the William Sloane House, a YMCA residence, on Thirty-fourth Street between Eighth and Ninth Avenues in Manhattan’s (NY) west side left four elderly men dead from smoke inhalation.
3/22/1932 Dallas, TX the Hotel Elm, “a small second story establishment in the downtown district” fire killed four.
3/22/1916 Dodge City, KS area: prairie fires burn hundreds of miles of grass in western counties; “many houses have been caught in the fast-moving flames and pasture lands.”
3/22/1916 East Nashville, TN 35 residential blocks were destroyed by fire that started after “a ball of yarn, lighted and thrown by a boy into dry grass in a vacant lot.”
3/22/1916 Fairplay, Polk County, MO a forest fire driven by the high winds “resulted in much damage to property.”
3/22/1916 three buildings were destroyed by fire in Kansas City, KS that started about 3:00 a.m. in the rear of a grocery store at 1258 Kansas Avenue; high winds fanned the flames.
3/22/1916 Oshkosh, WI the Normal School central portion of the three-wing school was destroyed by fire.
3/22/1899 Pittsburgh, PA West Point Boiler Works explosion killed five around noon. “The boilers were inspected six months ago, and were thought to be in first class condition.”