3/2/1884 a Philadelphia, PA firefighter died from injuries he sustained after falling from a roof at 29 S. Water Street.
3/2/1901 a Gas City, IN firefighter “died from the injuries he sustained while fighting a fire in a commercial building when a wall collapsed. The collapse also claimed the life of a second firefighter, who later died on March 4, 1901 from his injuries.”
3/2/1903 a Chicago, IL firefighter from injuries he received on February 18, 1903 when he was fatally injured while fighting a fire at 642 S. Loomis Street. “He fell on his ax during firefighting operations. He died from his injury on March 2.”
3/2/1905 a Brooklyn, New York (FDNY) firefighter “died from of injuries sustained the previous day, when he was caught in a naphtha explosion while operating at a three-alarm fire in an oil plant.”
3/2/1919 a San Francisco, CA firefighter “died from the injuries he sustained while operating at a basement fire.”
3/2/1925 a Janesville, WI firefighter died at “a residential fire at 410 S. Locust St. While on the roof, he fell and landed on the frozen ground. The cause of death was a double skull fracture.”
3/2/1927 a Washington DC firefighter died while operating at a fire, he was killed when a chimney fell on him at 4th & Portland Street SE.
3/2/1979 a Chesterfield, Missouri firefighter died “from injuries received when he fell thru the family room floor, while battling a house fire at 14036 Augusta Drive in the Green Trails subdivision in Chesterfield. He was trapped by falling debris in the basement with enough oxygen in his air tank to last about 30 minutes.” Chesterfield firefighters tried repeatedly to rescue him but were hampered by heat, smoke and flames. The firefighter died of carbon monoxide poisoning.”
3/2/1980 a Spokane, WA firefighter died as one of 65 firefighters fighting a four-alarm fire at the Zukor Building. “The building was “fully involved” with fire when the first companies arrived. The fire fight had been over when the accident took place. Three firefighters were in the bucket of Ladder Tower 7 directing a water stream into the smoldering ruins when the front of the building collapsed, hitting them with falling debris. One firefighter was hit by a piece of the cornice and fatally injured.”
3/2/1994 a Pawcatuck, Connecticut firefighter died of “carbon monoxide poisoning after being separated from his crew while conducting search operations on the second-floor of a single-family house. He and three other firefighters were attempting to rescue a victim reported on the second floor when a flashover occurred, separating the crew members. Three firefighters escaped with injuries. He was found unconscious on the second floor and died later.”
3/2/1973 while under construction the center section of the 26-story Skyline Plaza collapsed at Seminary Road and Route 7, Bailey’s Crossroads, Fairfax County, VA The collapse killed fourteen and injured thirty-four workers when the shoring was prematurely removed from newly poured concrete floors.
3/2/1965 twenty-six residents were killed and thirty-seven injured when a natural gas explosion blasted a 40-unit, three-story apartment building in Montreal, QB.
3/2/1953 a nursing home fire in Largo, FL claimed thirty-three lives; only twenty-five of the fifty-seven patients escaped the fire that destroyed the 185-foot long white one-story wood frame Littlefield Nursing Home about 3:15 a.m.
3/2/1939 Halifax, NS the old wooden Queen Hotel, Nova Scotia Liquor Commission building and the Greek Orthodox Church, in the crowded downtown section, near the waterfront, were destroyed by a fire that “left scores of persons dead or injured” around 6:45 a.m. “Authorities said that 21 persons were believed dead, 25 injured and 45 missing. At least 26 were rescued.” There were “117 persons in the hotel, one of the oldest and finest in Halifax, 87 were guests and 30 were employees.” The fire also damaged the General Electric Company building.
3/2/1930 Alton, NH the Bayview Pavilion, a 100 by 75 foot, seven years old dance hall that overlooked Alton Bay, was destroyed by a fire in the Lake Winnipesaukee region at 9:30 p.m.
3/2/1916 Providence (RI) Journal was damaged by a suspicious fire followed by an explosion in the managing editor’s office.
3/2/1908 Laredo, TX a theater fire extended to a jewelry store and sewing machine factory, all 3 buildings are ruined shortly before 10:00 p.m.
3/2/1904 New York, NY the 13-story Darlington Hotel collapse killed five, injured several and ten were missing during construction at 57 West Forty-sixth Street. “The steel frame work had been erected as far as the eleventh floor and the structure was swarming with iron workers, masons and laborers, when the upper floor sagged and collapsed, and the whole structure fell with a crash that was heard for blocks and shook all the buildings in the vicinity.”
3/2/1892 Bayonne, NJ the 3-story wood St. Charles Hotel on West Eighth Street was destroyed by fire at 2:20 a.m. that was discovered in the basement; the fire “caused a panic among two dozen guests and the servants.”
3/2/1944 a passenger train stopped in a tunnel outside of Salerno, Italy, more than fifty people on board were asphyxiated by the carbon monoxide.
3/2/1970 the U.S. Food and Drug Administration banned the use of carbon tetrachloride (CCl4) [a halon] fire extinguishers.