12/8/1912 a Bayonne, NJ firefighter died “while carrying hose at a fire in a Catholic church, he collapsed after suffering an acute heart attack. He was rushed to the hospital, where he died a short time later as a result of its effects.”
12/8/1927 a Boston, MA firefighter died “from inhalation of smoke and gases from a fire he was at on December 5 at Box 7433, (East Fifth & ‘K’ Streets). The fire at 650 East Fourth Street, South Boston, at 1825 hours, was caused by persons looking for movie picture films with a lit match, causing an explosion.”
12/8/1929 a Brooklyn, New York (FDNY) firefighter “died as a result of smoke and gas inhalation while operating at a fire.”
12/8/1935 a Baltimore, Maryland firefighter died “while pulling hose at a two-alarm fire involving a church under construction at Box 149. He suddenly collapsed. He was rushed to the hospital, where he died of peritonitis hernia.”
12/8/1947 a Hawkesbury, Ontario, Canada firefighter “died while operating at Fire Call Box #26, for a fire at Laurin’s Store on Main Street.”
12/8/1975 a Queens, NY (FDNY) firefighter died after he was injured on November 19th at Box # 22-4773, Jamaica Avenue & Parsons Boulevard. “While overhauling at an arson fire in the basement of a household goods discount store on November 19th, 1975, he was injured, and a second firefighter was killed; several firefighters were injured, when they were caught in the explosion of aerosol insecticide cans. The second firefighter died while in route to the hospital after inhaling a combination of poisonous fumes, natural gas, and carbon monoxide poisoning at the fire. The firefighter ran out of the basement to get help for his downed brothers, re-entered the basement after taking some oxygen and collapsed. He was removed and rushed to the hospital, where he died December 8th as a result of inhaling the same mixture that killed the other firefighter. A total of nine other firefighters were also overcome. None of the men who were injured were wearing breathing apparatus, as the department policy at the time was that it was “optional” as determined by company and/or chief officers depending on the incident. This incident served as a catalyst in having the policy changed making it mandatory to wear SCBA at all structure fires.”
12/8/1996 a Somers, Connecticut firefighter was electrocuted when his SCBA tank came into contact with a power line carrying 23,000 volts at a residential structure fire. A snowstorm was responsible for the downed power line.
12/8/2011 a Worchester, MA firefighter died in a three-story wood frame residential fire at 49 Arlington Street that was reported around 4:18 a.m. “Responding to reports of a civilian trapped on the 3rd floor, firefighters conducted a primary search. After the search was completed, the incident commander ordered all firefighters from the building and implemented defensive fire fighting operations. At 0443 hours, a partial collapse of the roof and rear porches occurred. A resident of the building continued to insist that his roommate was still trapped in the building. The fire had been knocked down and it was determined that another search of the structure would be conducted in hopes of locating the missing roommate. Approximately 4 minutes into the search, a structural collapse occurred and trapped two members of Rescue 1.” The firefighter was crushed and fatally injured in the collapse. A second firefighter was seriously injured but was rescued from the building.
12/8/2011 a City of Mount, NY firefighter died while he “was on-duty for a 24-hour shift that began at 0800hrs on December 7, 2011. During the first part of the shift, he responded to four emergency incidents. The fifth incident, a structure fire, was dispatched at 0243hrs. The firefighter responded to the scene on Engine 4. When he arrived on the scene, he donned his personal protective clothing and SCBA and prepared to enter the structure when he suddenly collapsed. He was treated on the scene by firefighters and paramedics, and transported to the hospital by ambulance. He was treated in the emergency room but was not revived. He was pronounced dead at 0406hrs due to a heart attack.”
12/8/2018 a Coxsackie, NY firefighter “died at a fire on 51 Washington Avenue, in the Washington Arms Apartments, after a fire broke out on the top floor and attic.”
12/8/2014 a mother and two young children were killed when a plane hit their Gaithersburg, Maryland home, a total of six people died in the crash and fire about one mile short of its destination of Montgomery County Airpark.
12/8/2014 two raging fires in downtown Los Angeles, CA. One a deliberately set, destroyed a massive block-long 7-story, 1.3 million ft2, wood-frame residential complex under construction and damaged two adjacent high-rises (15-story) government office buildings and part of the 110 Freeway around 1:20 a.m. in downtown area. Shortly after 4:00 a.m. a second large fire 2 miles west of the first fire was reported in a mixed-use building.
12/8/2010 Santiago, Chile a fire, during an inmate brawl, spread through the overcrowded prison, killing eighty-one and seriously injuring fourteen
12/8/1961 a fire erupted out of a 9th floor trash chute at Hartford Hospital, extended down a corridor like a blowtorch killing six patients, five visitors and four hospital staff members in Hartford, Connecticut.
12/8/1922 Astoria, Oregon conflagration, the business district of the oldest city in the state was in ruins, hundreds of persons were homeless after a fire started in a restaurant and spread to exposures. “Local firemen who resorted to dynamiting in a vain effort to try to stop the conflagration.”
12/8/1919 several buildings in downtown Pasco, WA were destroyed by fire, that started in the Pasco Drug Store and spread to the Bank of Pasco and the U.S. Post Office building; eventually six building were destroyed, and a 16-year-old drug store employee died.
12/8/1916 Emporium, PA Aetna Powder Company explosion injured six when thousands of pounds of smokeless powder ignited and exploded around 1:05 p.m.
12/8/1903 Sherman, TX the Sherman Cotton Compress Company was totally destroyed by fire that was discovered at 11:00 a.m.
12/8/1881 a fire killed at least 620 people and injured hundreds more at the Ring Theater in Vienna, Austria. The fire started from gas lights above the stage that inadvertently lit some prop clouds hanging over the stage, the iron fire curtain was not lowered
12/8/1864 the Church of La Compana fire killed about 2,000 in Santiago, Chile, a Jesuit church located in downtown, during the celebration of the Feast of the Immaculate Conception. The temple was adorned with “a profusion of gas lights and wall coverings,” the altar, had a large statue of the Virgin Mary standing over a half-moon, huge candelabra. The fire started shortly before 7:00 p.m. when a gas lamp at the top of the main altar ignited some of the veils that adorned the walls and spread to the rest of the veils and to the wood roof. Somebody tried to put it out by smothering it with another cloth, but managed to only make the fire grow. The attendees, mostly women, panicked and tried to escape. The side doors (that opened inward) had been closed leaving space to accommodate more people, leaving the main entrance as the only exit. Big hoop skirts worn during that period made the escape very difficult if not impossible. The main wood frame tower of the masonry church collapsed inwards around 10:00 p.m. The tragedy, contributed to organization of the first Volunteer Firemen’s Corps in Santiago, on December 20 that year.