12/13/1891 a Sandusky, OH firefighter was killed while fighting a fire in the hold of a ship.
12/13/1892 a Baltimore, MD firefighter died in a general-alarm fire in a cotton warehouses, when a wall fell while firefighters were stretching a line between two of the buildings. The firefighter died when a large bale of cotton fell on him, breaking his neck.
12/13/1904 two Minneapolis, MN firefighter died at a fire involving several buildings at 1st (Marquette) Avenue South and 5th Street. “A crew was on the top floor of the Boutell Furniture Store trying to prevent spread of flames to it from the adjacent Peck building when the entire third floor of Boutell’s burst into flame” trapping one firefighter on the fifth floor. A second firefighter died when he fell down an open elevator shaft from the fourth floor of the Peck Building.
12/13/1905 two Evanston, IL firefighters “died while operating at the Marks Factory fire when a wall collapsed.”
12/13/1932 a Greenville, OH firefighter died from the injuries he sustained when a smokestack at the Sherman White Poultry Plant, fell and struck him on his chest.
12/13/1933 a Hartford, CT firefighter “died as a result of severe smoke inhalation sustained the previous day while operating at a fire.”
12/13/1939 a Brooklyn, New York (FDNY) firefighter died from smoke inhalation while operating at a single-alarm fire at 1179 52nd Street.
12/13/1955 a Fort Smith, AR firefighter died from the injuries he sustained after being caught in a collapse attempting to save a trapped worker.
12/13/1964 a Chicago, IL firefighter died in the line of duty following a structural collapse during a commercial fire in a six-story building on West Illinois Street.
“The fire started on the fourth floor of the building, which was occupied by the United States Crayon Company. The fire spread to the upper floors of the building, where it was noticed after setting off a sprinkler system and a burglar alarm.” He was operating with his company on the third floor when the fourth floor collapsed. “On December 15, a teenaged arsonist, who had just been released from a reformatory, admitted to starting the fire. The following year, the arsonist was tried and found guilty of two charges of arson and one charge of murder, and was sentenced to more than fifty years in prison.”
12/13/ 1977 Providence, RI a fire, apparently, that started by a hairdryer swept through the 4th floor of Aquinas Hall, a women’s dormitory at Providence College, that killed ten women and injured at least fifteen others. Two of the women died when they jumped from their window onto the frozen, snow covered ground. The fire was fed primarily from highly combustible Christmas decorations that had been put up in the corridors. Evidence suggests that the fire started in a fourth floor sleeping room located near the end of a long dead-end corridor in the four-story non-combustible building. The first floor was used for class rooms and a chapel; the second, third, and fourth floors were occupied as girl’s dormitories. The interior finish was non-combustible except a concealed fiber board ceiling above the suspended non-combustible mineral tile with poor compartmentation between rooms.
12/13/2015 a fire killed twenty-three, injured twenty-three and twenty-four were able to escape a home for the mentally ill in Alferovka, a village in the Voronezh region about 600 kilometers (350 miles) south of Moscow, Russia in a one-story brick building. “The fire started in a section of the home dedicated to patients who were unable to walk.” “All of the patients at the Novokhopersky Neuropsychiatric Home were men and those who died were aged between 46 and 78.”
12/13/2015 a pre-dawn fire killed two men and woman in a Nassau County, Florida mobile home in the 95000 block of Leo Drive, which is in the Nassauville community near Fernandina Beach around 4:37 a.m.
12/13/2013 Williston ND a fire started in a four-story unprotected wood-frame apartment building under construction was one of two building and six garages that burned resulted in a $12 million loss in -6oF and 22 MPH winds.
12/13/2012 five children burnt to death in Lagos Nigeria in a fire that engulfed a building in the area of Kirikiri Town; the fire was caused by a lit candle, used after a power failure. The parents reportedly lit the candle for their children while they were asleep and went back to their shop, locking the door from the outside trapping the children inside.
12/13/1916 a coal mine explosion killed twenty near Stone City, KS.