11/19/1901 a Trenton, New Jersey firefighter “was killed in a collapse while operating at a factory fire.”
11/19/1943 a Richmond, IN firefighter died “while fighting a basement fire in a residence at 200 Northwest J. Street, he became overcome by smoke. He was transported to Reid Memorial Hospital where he later died.”
11/19/1975 a Queens, New York (FDNY) firefighter died “while overhauling at an arson fire in the basement of a household goods discount store, he was killed, and several firefighters were injured, when they were caught in the explosion of aerosol insecticide cans. The firefighter died while in route to the hospital after inhaling a combination of poisonous fumes, natural gas, and carbon monoxide poisoning at the fire. A firefighter who ran out of the basement to get help for his downed brothers, re-entered the basement after taking some oxygen and collapsed. He was removed and rushed to the hospital, where he died December 8th as a result of inhaling the same mixture that killed the first firefighter. A total of nine other firefighters were also overcome. None of the men who were injured were wearing breathing apparatus, as the department policy at the time was that it was optional as determined by company and or chief officer depending on the incident. This incident served as a catalyst in having the policy changed making it mandatory to wear SCBA at all structure fires.”
11/19/1984 a Concordia, KS firefighter “died as a result of inhaling carbon monoxide. The firefighter had been working on a truck from the Cloud County Rural Fire Department No. 4 when he was overcome by the gas.”
11/19/1984 a gas storage area explosion killed 334 and injured as many as 7,000 near Mexico City, Mexico in an industrial disaster in San Juanico. Caused by a series of massive explosions and fire at a liquid petroleum gas (LPG) tank farm. The explosion consumed around 11,000 m3, one third of Mexico City’s liquid petroleum gas supply, and destroyed the storage and distribution facility belonging to Petroleos Mexicanos (PEMEX). The plant consisted of 6 large spherical tanks (four holding 1,600 m3 and two holding 2,400 m3), 54 LPG storage tanks; and 48 smaller horizontal bullet shaped tanks. The incident devastated the town of San Juan Ixhuatepec. A pipe ruptured during transfer operations that resulted in a plume of LPG that migrated to west end waste-gas flare pit at 5:40 a.m. that exploded and burned, within 4 minutes first tank underwent a Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosion (BLEVE) and over the next hour 12 more BLEVEs occurred along with several other small explosions.
11/19/1951 Chicago, IL a fire in the Norwood Hotel killed three and injured nine of the 213 registered guests.
11/19/1934 two were killed and four others injured in a gas filled cellar violent explosion in Pampa, TX after a match was lit in a gas-filled cellar.
11/19/1909 Sandusky, OH a four-story building on the Mahala Block was destroyed by fire, thirteen families were homeless, and seven businesses ruined.
11/19/1899 seven buildings were destroyed by fire in Wagoner, OK including the St. Charles Hotel.