1/26/1909 a Duluth, MN “died while operating at a kitchen fire in a three-story frame hotel that spread to the rear of the building and burned away the frame supports holding up a large chimney. He was working from a ladder, without a helmet, when the chimney suddenly collapsed and was struck in the head by a shower of bricks and fell from the ladder to the ground. His skull was severely fractured.”
1/26/1911 Troy, NY business district conflagration left a firefighter dead and three injured from a wall collapse in an early morning fire. The fire damaged Woolworth’s Five and Ten Cent store, Kresge’s Five and Ten Cent store, The Boston store, a haberdasher and a department store.
1/26/1912 a Walla Walla, WA firefighter died “while searching for the seat of the fire in a commercial building, after he fell into the water filled and burning cellar. Several firefighters saw him fall but couldn’t get to him after he became enveloped in thick clouds of billowing smoke. His body was found lying in the cellar at the foot of the stairs, in three feet of water.”
1/26/1941 a Danville, IL firefighter died “while fighting a fire at the Allen Chapel of the African Methodist Episcopal Church located at 5th Avenue and North Street. The fire started when the furnace in the church’s basement overheated, and firefighters responded to the fire around 8:45 a.m. About 10:00 a.m. he was standing on a ladder to aim a hose stream through a church window when a large piece of decorative stone molding fell off the church. The molding smashed through the ladder, and he was fatally injured by his fall.”
1/26/1974 a Detroit, MI firefighter died of smoke inhalation after being trapped when a floor had collapsed, while operating at a fire.
1/26/1982 two Boulder, CO “firefighters died during a training fire in an abandoned shed near 15th Street and Hawthorn Avenue. The structure had been lined with combustible fiberboard. Following their deaths, the National Fire Protection Association established strict standards for live fire trainings. Three other firefighters were also injured at that training.”
1/26/1986 a Chicago, IL firefighter died “during a 3-11 fire in the Mark Twain Hotel at 111 W. Division Street. After helping to carry two elderly residents down a ladder from the hotel’s third-floor. He re-entered the burning building to search for additional victims, but was trapped by the flames and smoke. Firefighters were eventually able to locate him, but efforts to revive him were unsuccessful, and he was pronounced dead at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. A female resident of the hotel who started the fire later pled guilty to arson and murder charges.”
1/26/1997 a Conover, WI “was on the roof of a house checking the progress of the fire when the roof collapsed. He became trapped and succumbed to smoke inhalation.”
1/26/2007 a Harrison, TN firefighter “died at a structure fire related to a wood stove in the basement of a residential building. He and other firefighters entered the structure with a handline and encountered zero visibility conditions. A Thermal Imaging Camera (TIC) and ventilation were requested. A Positive Pressure Ventilation (PPV) fan was set up in the doorway through which firefighters had entered. He was kneeling in the door with the nozzle when the floor had collapsed. Heat conditions had worsened, and the floor was described as spongy. The floor collapsed, and he fell into the basement. A firefighter that had been behind him reached down into the hole but was unable to reach his hand. Firefighters placed an attic ladder into the hole and called for him to climb out. He became disoriented and was unable to assist with his own rescue. Firefighters entered the basement and made contact with him but were unable to retrieve him due to limited air supplies and fire conditions. The structure became unstable and firefighters were withdrawn from the building. His remains were recovered by firefighters after the fire was controlled. The cause of death was listed as inhalation of smoke and toxic products of combustion. The four members of the rapid intervention team (RIT) that went in also suffered injuries. The floor assembly that collapsed was later determined to be constructed with engineered lumber. A number of firefighter fatalities have occurred in collapses involving these materials.”
1/26/2014 two Toledo, OH firefighters died “at a two-story apartment building fire with people inside at 528 Magnolia Street. Shortly after arriving on scene, both men were searching inside of the building for occupants when they signaled a Mayday. Other crews immediately began RIT operations and, within several minutes, rescued the two trapped firefighters who were both reported to be in cardiac arrest. The cause of the fatal fire remains under investigation by local authorities.”
1/26/1972 the Green Nursing Home in Cincinnati, OH fire killed nine in the single floor, block construction converted residence. The building was not protected by a sprinkler system. “A member of a White House commission late Wednesday described safety conditions as “atrocious” at a nursing home here where nine died. Howard Tipton, executive director of President Nixon’s National Fire Prevention and Control Commission (America Burning) charged that the one floor, converted residence made of cinder blocks “should never have been used as a nursing home.”
1/26/1969 the Victoria Hotel fire killed thirteen in Dunnville, ON. The 63-year-old hotel was destroyed and 3 other buildings in the Niagara Peninsula town were heavily damaged before dawn.
1/26/1929 Plattsburg, NY six were rescued from a fire that destroyed the Normal School, a three-story brick structure that started in the basement from an explosion of an oil burning furnace around 10:25 a.m.
1/26/1927 Turner, ID a gas explosion in Mormon Hall killed seven and seriously injured twelve during a basketball game with about 200 spectators. Shortly after the game started, the lighting system failed, someone lit a match, followed by terrific acetylene gas explosion that wrecked the rear wall.
1/26/1922 Long Beach, Long Island, NY the Nassau Hotel was threatened by fire that forced 100 guests into the cold that started in one of the small boardwalk shops’ the International Restaurant, from an overheated oil stove that extended to a couch. Driven by strong wind and bitter cold the fire quickly spread to Submarine Restaurant below the boardwalk, a jewelry shop, a bathing apparel store, three other small shops and about 125 feet along the boardwalk.
1/26/1918 Peterboro, ON conflagration, one-half of the business section, including the theatre, bank, and other buildings were destroyed by a fire caused by a boiler explosion in a shoe store; driven by high winds and extremely cold weather.
1/26/1912 Milbank, SD conflagration, the entire business block is damaged. “All the city hydrants were frozen, and the firefighters were compelled to rely upon a railway reservoir for water.”
1/26/1907 five died in a fire at the Cocheco Manufacturing Co in Dover, NH, a sprinklered building. The water supply was shut off. The fire started on the forth-floor of the mill, and a few minutes later fire started on the third-story. The fire spread rapidly and running over loose stock, unchecked by sprinklers. The valve controlling the sprinkler supply was not opened for ten to fifteen minutes. The fire escapes on the upper floors failed to operate, several victims jumped from the 4th and 5th floors.
1/26/1907 Holloway, MN main business district that includes 3 general stores, the village hall, post office and the bank is destroyed by fire
1/26/1907 Lorentz, WV twelve died in a coal mine explosion; following the “fire damp” (methane) explosion the mine caved-in just before 5:30 p.m.
1/26/1904 Stanton, DE the “Jacobs House” fire destroyed four houses leaves two dead and two others badly burned.
1/26/1904 Appleton, WI the Ryan High School is completely destroyed by fire at 4:00 a.m. that may have started from old and defective heating apparatus.
1/26/1892 Columbus, OH the Metropolitan Opera House was destroyed by fire that extends to the block from Rich Street to Walnut, and from High to Wall at 7:40 a.m. 16 businesses were burned out including a shoe factory that employed 204.