A 23 year old Delaware Firefighter is in critical but stable condition at Crozer Burn Center in Pennsylvania after a morning house fire on Mill Creek Road in Milltown, New Castle County, Delaware. Minquas Fire Company Captain Dave Smiley remains in critical condition this afternoon. Multiple fire companies responded to the fire, which was reported about 0830. Nobody was in the house at the time of the fire but a pet was rescued.
Upon their arrival, companies reported that smoke and fire was showing from the “charlie” side of the house. Crews made entry into the home and begin their attack while crews also simultaneously searched for occupants. Around this time, Captain Smiley reportedly made his way to the second floor where he fell through the floor, became trapped and suffered those serious burns. A Mayday was declared and he was rescued.
After the he was injured, Command ordered an evacuation of the building and an exterior attack on the fire due to the deteriorating conditions. After the initial evacuation order, command ordered an emergency evacuation so crews would expedite.
A team of Investigators from the Delaware State Fire Marshal’s Office have determined that the fire originated in the 1st floor laundry room of the dwelling and was caused by an electrical/mechanical malfunction in the dryer. The fire heavily damaged the residence and caused an estimated $250,000 in damages.
More to follow. KHIYP’s.