Photo by Tom Murray
There were no injuries in the training exercise that sparked the out-of-control blaze Friday at the Benjamin’s Calabash Seafood at 2290 S. Kings Highway in Myrtle Beach.
The columns of thick black smoke pouring into the evening sky forced officials to shut down Kings Highway from about 20th Avenue South to 23rd Avenue South for about an hour. The fire drew curious onlookers who lined the northbound side of the roadway.
As J. Edward Fleming – the owner of J. Edwards Great Ribs and More, which is located next to Benjamin’s – stood outside his business, he said he would close for the night because of the smoke damage to his building.
Walker said the department had been holding various daily training sessions at Benjamin’s Calabash Seafood for the past two weeks and would have ended the sessions Friday, at which time the restaurant would have been demolished.
Some of the other training included search and rescue missions and forcible entry. "Anytime you’re doing live fire, you take a chance," Walker said.
by Paul Nelson of The Sun