The Fire Chief of a small southeastern Oklahoma town has died after being electrocuted while investigating an electrical problem in his own home. Fire Chief Gary Reeder, of the Wapanucka Fire Department in Johnston County, died after being electrocuted Sunday evening.
Chief Reeder, who was also a part-time employee of Johnston County Emergency Medical Services, wasn’t on duty with EMS when the incident occurred shortly before 1700 hours.
Chief Reeder was experiencing electrical issues in his mobile home and had crawled beneath the structure to investigate when he received a high-voltage electrical shock. Family members performed CPR but Reeder was pronounced dead at a local hospital.
Chief Reeder is survived by his wife, three children, and a special son. He was a lifelong resident of Wapanucka, and had been with the fire department for 22 years. He served as chief for 17 of those years.Wapanucka has a population 432 and is about 94 miles (151 kilometers) southeast of Oklahoma City.
HERE is his obituary and memorial information:
Our condolences to all those affected. Rest In Peace.