STATEN ISLAND, N.Y.– A fire that tore through a St. George laundromat Saturday drew a large FDNY response, and left one firefighter injured.
Twenty-five units and more than 100 firefighters responded at about 3:12 p.m. to the brick, one-story commercial building at 93 Stuyvesant Pl., blocks from Borough Hall, the Richmond County Courthouse and 120th Precinct station house.
One firefighter was transported to Richmond University Medical Center in West Brighton with serious, but non-life threatening injuries, according to an FDNY spokesman.
The fire was placed under control just before 4 p.m.
The fire is the second in less than two years along the same commercial block in St. George.
In 2018, a homeless man pleaded guilty to starting a massive blaze near 99 Stuyvesant Pl. that ripped through several businesses.
Hector Meza, 40, let a candle burn carelessly, igniting combustibles in an alcove at the rear of the St. George Pharmacy, late on the afternoon of June 6, according to the Fire Department and statements made in court.
That fire caused significant damage to a Dunkin Donuts and a nearby pharmacy.