Two cats were treated for smoke inhalation and a firefighter was injured following a house fire in Cary Friday night, authorities said. All three tenants inside the home at 203 E. Pearl Street were able to safely get out before fire crews arrived at the scene at about 9:34 p.m. Heavy smoke was coming from the residence when fire crews first arrived at the scene and they were able to rescue the two cats from inside the home, according to a news release.
Firefighters used a special oxygen mask to treat the animals at the scene and after receiving the treatment, both cats’ conditions improved, according to the fire department press release.
Meanwhile, a Cary Fire Protection District firefighter was also treated at the scene by paramedics after receiving a minor laceration to his head when he was struck by a tool, authorities said. No other injuries were reported in the blaze.
Firefighters extinguished the blaze within 30 minutes of arriving at the scene. The basement was severely damaged by the fire and there was smoke and water damage throughout the residence, according to the news release.
The home is currently uninhabitable, fire officials said, and arrangements were made for the tenants to stay at a hotel following the blaze.