A firefighter and an El Sobrante resident were injured Sunday in a fire at a single-family home, officials said.
Unattended cooking on a stove caused the blaze, said Robert Marshall, fire marshal of the Contra Costa County Fire Protection District.
Crews from the Richmond, Pinole and El Cerrito fire departments also responded to the fire on San Pablo Dam Road about 4:30 p.m. The blaze was brought under control half an hour later, Marshall said.
One of the house’s four occupants complained of smoke inhalation but was treated at the scene and released. A Contra Costa County firefighter was hospitalized after injuring a lower extremity “relatively severely,” Marshall said, but he is expected to make a full recovery.
The fire, which started in the kitchen in the back of the house, caused roughly $300,000 in damage, Marshall said. The property is uninhabitable and will be red-tagged, he said.