A Douglas firefighter is recovering in a Tucson hospital after being injured while on a call Friday.
According to Lt. Matt King of the Douglas Fire Department, at 3:42 p.m. Oct. 5 the DFD received a call for an odor of natural gas at a residence in the area of 11th Street and Delores Ave.
Upon arrival crews began investigating the house. While investigating Lt. Joe Alvarez stepped into a hole in the floor and sustained an injury to his left leg.
Fellow fire fighters on scene were able to help Lt. Alvarez out of the hole. He was removed from the building and a Douglas Fire EMS crew began treatment of the isolated leg injury.
Lt. Alvarez was then flown to University Medical Center where he remains in stable condition.
“Doctors are still determining the extent of his injuries, but Lt. Alvarez is in good spirits,” Lt. King said.
On scene crews secured the gas utilities to the residence and called in Southwest Gas. Monitoring of the area revealed no gas in the residence prior to fire crews clearing the scene at 5 p.m.