A Valley Stream firefighter was injured when replying to a house fire on South Corona Avenue on Dec. 4.
The Valley Stream Fire Department received a call about an electrical malfunction that sparked a fire at around 5:30 a.m., according to Chief Jason Croak, and the first unit was at the location within three minutes. With the help of members from the Elmont, Malverne, Lynbrook and Hewlett fire departments, the firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze within an hour.
Unfortunately, however, one firefighter suffered second-degree burns to his ears and wrist from a gas canister explosion inside the house. He was transported to Nassau University Medical Center in East Meadow, and was released later that day. The first-floor and basement of the house were also damaged, and the house was totaled.
Residents should not store any propane cans, aerosol cans or gas canisters inside the house, Croak said, as it can cause major damage.