CENTERVILLE, Ohio — Police and firefighters evacuated two dozen apartments after a fire raced through a Centerville apartment complex early Monday morning. The blaze happened about 2 a.m. at the Revere Village Apartments on Route 48 near Spring Valley Road. Authorities said all the residents escaped safely, but two firefighters suffered injuries trying to put out the fire. Centerville police first arrived and evacuated the burning apartment.
Fire crews said they received a call from a resident indicating that a utility room was on fire. When firefighters arrived, they found flames pouring from the roof and shooting out of the windows.
Firefighters said intense heat forced them to battle the blaze from the outside. They used aerial trucks to douse water on the flames.
Once inside, two firefighters were injured when heavy pieces of debris fell on them. Paramedics took the firefighters to a local hospital for treatment. Fire officials said the injured firefighters are expected to be OK.
Investigators believe that flammable material left near a hot water heater sparked the blaze