Two Halifax regional firefighters were injured in a blaze Thursday night at a North Preston home when a stairwell inside the burning structure collapsed, plunging one man into the basement.
Halifax Regional Fire and Emergency crews were called to the fire on Simmonds Road at about 6:30 p.m.
“Most of the fire was located under the stairwell so it compromised the stairs — it burnt the stairs out. One firefighter fell through to the basement. [The other] went down and extricated him from the building,” said division commander Brad Connors.
The firefighters were taken to Dartmouth General Hospital and held overnight for observation, Connors said. Later Friday, Mayor Mike Savage said both had been released from hospital.