Residents in a portion of downtown West Chester are allowed to return to their homes after being evacuated due to an underground fire that injured five firefighters.
The call of smoke came in shortly before 4 p.m. Wednesday on the 200 block of West Gay Street, near the Justice Center.
PECO says an underground cable caused the fire.
Residents on the 100 and 200 block of Gay Street were told to leave the area. Crews went door to door to check on carbon monoxide levels.
They were allowed back in the area shortly after 8 p.m.
Five firefighters were taken to area hospitals due to the carbon monoxide, lowered from the original number of 12.
One of the injured was the West Chester Assistant Fire Chief. Officials say he collapsed at the scene, but is OK.