Eleven firefighters and one resident were taken to an area hospital Friday when a noxious combination of cleaning supplies triggered a Level 3 hazardous materials situation at a building in Boston’s South End.
The building was evacuated after a combination of bleach and Murphy’s Oil Soap created a noxious, potentially dangerous combination on the third floor of a 5-story rooming house, Boston fire officials said.
“If it’s inhaled to a considerable extent, it can cause some serious damage,” said Boston Fire Deputy Chief Robert Calobrisi. “It can really affect you mucous membranes.”
The 12 people were taken to the hospital as a precautionary measure. The building has since been ventilated.
Police said they received a call around 12:15 p.m. for a reported hazmat situation at 1740 Washington St.